Northport Harbor - Early 1900s
Early 1900s: Northport Harbor
Northport , NY
In the 1770's Great Cow Harbor's main settlement was called Red Hook, which consisted of a few farmhouses and an inn at which is now the junction of Route 25-A, Vernon Valley and Waterside Avenue. When the Revolutionary War broke out, the Fifth Company of the Army was raised in Great Cow Harbor under Captain Platt Vail. It fought with four companies from Huntington in the Battle of Long Island in Brooklyn, where George Washington's forces were defeated by the Red Coats. For the next eight years Long Island remained under British military control.
- Photo taken looking out at Northport Harbor from Woodbine Avenue. Woodbine Avenue was fashioned out of a dirt trail, the business district, including the post office, shifted from Red Hook to the harbor. The name Northport first appears in town records of 1837, though there is no record of how it was selected.
CLICK HERE - To Continue Historic Tour of Northport NY